Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Link or Two

Hey folks,

While I'm working on the next installment of Beer 101 (or 10000001, if I had it myyyyyyy wayyy...) here's a couple interesting food things I found today.  These aren't cooking blogs, but I've been thinking about the diversity of dietary choices lately.  Check the articles here and here.

ALSO I have been totally obsessed with lentils.  This week, I've made three different red lentil dishes already.  Tonight, I took a break from the lentils in the interest of frying up some pierogies from the deli across the street, and also of not-getting-sick-of-lentils.

They're so versatile!  They really appeal to the non-recipe-ist in me.  You can add ANYTHING to them and the dish will be wonderful, as long as you balance the spices in a way that makes sense (NEVER combine cinnamon and oregano.  Or do, and get back to me on how that works out for you).  Always add yogurt, it makes for a delightful texture.  Blah, blah, blah; I love the legumes in the winter.

I can never quite decide the spelling that I should use for yogourt...yogurt...or yoghurt.  I also can't say it too much or it becomes totally alien to me.  The solution is to just eat it already, dammit. 

Earlier, I roasted some red peppers and shoved them all into a jar with oil, salt and pepper, to help with breakneck cooking that I have to do during the week.  They're tasty, and will probably keep for a little while in the fridge! 

Why do I have to do speedy cooking?  Well, I've just started taking the Level 3 Wine Spirit Education & Trust (WSET) course at Brock.  I've totally taken up swing dancing on Monday nights, too.  Quite fun stuff!  So not only am I broke, but the first two days of the week, I have to come home, eat something and then immediately fly out the door--not my favourite way of treating dinner. 

Short update.  More to come next week!

Thanks for reading,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment